- Schedule your exam at least 2 weeks after end of last chemotherapy cycle; 6-8 weeks after surgery; 12 weeks after radiation.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time.
- Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing and avoid wearing jewelry, zippers and snaps.
- Do not eat anything 4-6 hours prior to your exam.
- Eat a high protein/low carbohydrate diet the evening before your exam. Avoid potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, sugar, desserts and juices.
- You may drink water up to the time of your exam.
- Avoid all nicotine and caffeine 12 hours prior to your exam.
- Avoid all nutritional supplements (Ensure™, Boost™, etc.) 8 hours prior to your exam.
- Refrain from strenuous exercise 24 hours prior to your exam.
- Take all other normally scheduled medication, with water, if they can be tolerated on an empty stomach.
AFTER YOUR EXAM:
- As an extra precaution, avoid getting close to an infant or anyone who is pregnant for 2 hours after your exam.
NON-INSULIN DEPENDENT PATIENTS
- Take diabetic medication with water the morning of your exam.
- No oral diabetic medication for 4 hours prior to your exam.
INSULIN DEPENDENT PATIENTS
- Eat a normal breakfast and take the usual dose of insulin.
- No insulin for 4 hours prior to your exam.